Comparative Study between Open Fistulectomy and Ligation of Intersphincteric Fistulas Tract (LIFT) Procedure for Uncomplicated Perianal Fistula


Authors : Dr. Mir Rasekh Alam Ovi; Dr. Shamima Nasrin; Dr. Md. Musab Khalil; Dr. Farhan Imtiaz Chowdhury

Volume/Issue : Volume 5 - 2020, Issue 8 - August

Google Scholar : http://bitly.ws/9nMw

Scribd : https://bit.ly/2Gbramo

DOI : 10.38124/IJISRT20AUG348

A new sphincter-saving procedure involving the ligation of the intersphincteric fistula tract (LIFT) procedure was recently described by Rojanasakul et al from Thailand. The main concept in the LIFT is to identify the fistula tract in the intersphincteric space and the subsequent ligation and division of the tract. Some studies abroad have shown a considerably high success rate in terms of wound healing and absence of incontinence in treating fistula-in-ano by this procedure. This study aimed to compare between the earlier fistulectomy and this new innovative LIFT technique. The study was designed as a comparative type of observational study conducted at Dhaka Medical College Hospital, Dhaka and Popular Medical College Hospital from January 2014 to December 2014. Study was carried out on 40 hospital admitted patients with uncomplicated Fistula-in-ano, irrespective of age and sex. LIFT and fistulectomy was the procedure as operative treatment for their disease. Outpatient follow-up was undertaken. In our study, 30 (75%) male and 10 (25%) female patients were operated with a male to female ratio 3: 1. Mean age was 37.3 years. Vast majority of the cases i.e 23 fistula (68%) was inter-sphincteric type and the rest 17 (32%) were trans-sphincteric type. Fistulectomy took less time than LIFT. Spinal Headache was the most common complication 7.5% (3 cases). No difference was found in comparison to wound healing. (p =00.18). LIFT was found better than fistulectomy regarding post-operative incontinence (p =0.008). LIFT was found better in term of recurrence (p = 0.04) than fistulectomy but in long term there is no difference (p=0.3). In treatment of uncomplicated perianal fistula LIFT has no benefit over fistulectomy

CALL FOR PAPERS


Paper Submission Last Date
30 - November - 2021

Paper Review Notification
In 1-2 Days

Paper Publishing
In 2-3 Days

Never miss an update from Papermashup

Get notified about the latest tutorials and downloads.

Subscribe by Email

Get alerts directly into your inbox after each post and stay updated.
Subscribe
OR

Subscribe by RSS

Add our RSS to your feedreader to get regular updates from us.
Subscribe